Business Essentials

Important things you need to know about how Great Lakes Council interacts with businesses in this area. If you run a business, read on…

On this Page:

Business Signage

When promoting your business, it's important to keep public safety in mind. Because of this, Council has a policy on A-Frame Sign & Footpath Occupation. You will also need to get approval for the signage. You can apply for approval below.

For other business signage, a Development Application may be required. First of all, you need to find out if your proposed signage is an exempt or complying development. Find out here.

If your signage proposal is complying, you will need a Complying Development Certificate (CDC). To find out more, visit Planning Rules. Clause 15 of the Great Lakes Development Control Plan relates to advertising and signage. You should also review the policy below.

Commercial Waste Services

Great Lakes Council is happy to provide your business with a commercial waste collection service which includes a much larger 240 litre red lid bin and 240 litre yellow lid recycling bin.

In most CBD areas, both bins are collected weekly. In other areas, the recycling collection is fortnightly. Additional bins and collections can be arranged if required.

Bulk skip bin services are also available from approved contractors:

  • JR  Richards & Sons - Tuncurry - Tel. (02) 6555 7007
  • Taree Recycling Centre - Taree South - Tel. (02) 6551 3394
  • Transpacific Cleanaway - Tel. (02) 4920 1455

If you require information regarding your specific needs, contact Our Waste Management Team.

Commercial Use of Council Reserves

We do allow the use of public spaces and reserves and pools for commercial use. A special licence is required from Council. Examples include the use of beaches for surf schools, outdoor fitness groups and swimming lessons. Read our policy documents:

Applicants are required to apply for a licence through Council's Development Application process. Please note, there are limited licences available for activities. For advice, you can contact the manager of Parks and Recreation on 6591 7222.

Planning an Event?

Do you want to hold a special public event in the Great Lakes area? If so you you should read the Council policy below and complete the application form.

Temporary Food Stalls

You will need to supply Council with a notification for a temporary food stall form. This can be downloaded below.

Stall set-up and design must comply with NSW Guidelines for Temporary Food Events, and you will need to attach a drawn plan of the stall and specify how food products & preparation will be protected.

Any food handlers must have appropriate training skills and knowledge in food safety as required. You will need to supply us with copies of the relevant certification with the completed form.

Completed forms should be submitted at a MidCoast Council office or emailed to 


Regular markets in the Great Lakes region are generally held once per month and operate on weekends and some public holidays. Markets are run by charity and community based organisations and the net profit is directed to the benefit of a local charity or community based organisation. For further information please read Council's Outdoor Market Policy or Council's Growers Market Policy.