Microchipping and Registering Your Pet

All dogs and cats must be microchipped by 12 weeks of age before being sold or given to another person.  This is a requirement of the Companion Animals Act 1998.  If the dog or cat is kept by the breeder, it must also be microchipped.

When your dog or cat is six months of age, you must also register your pet with Council.  This involves a one off payment and covers the entire life of your pet.

Microchipping is normally done by a local vet, and it's is a quick and painless procedure. The chip contains the pets' details, as well as the owners contact information. If the animal is lost, a microchip enables the owner and pet to be reunited.

It's easy to register your cat or dog. Simply call into Council's offices with the following documents:

  • The animal's ID certificate (it comes with the microchip).
  • Proof of de-sexing (if applicable). De-sexed animals cost less to register.
  • A concession card (if applicable). Pensioners get a reduced fee on de-sexed animals.

The applicable fee can be found in Council's Fees and Charges Schedule (see link below).

Changing Address?

The correct address and contact details for your pet must be provided by law, so it's important let us know if you change address.  If you move during the life of your cat or dog, you will need to complete the Department of Local Government's Change of Address C3C Form and submit that in person or by post to Council.